Monday, November 16, 2015

A Few Underrated Albums of the Year

So we've all been there.  Checking out some blog or podcast that we frequent and our favorite song or album isn't on their "Top 5 List." We go bananas.  I know I do.  Lately I've been listening to quite a few albums that aren't making it onto any top 5 lists and I feel they should.  So I've decided to make my own list of albums that have been under appreciated lately.  Check one out, you may be surprised!

Profan by Kampfar 
Looking for something totally blackened with a very old school feel to it?  Then these guys are your go-to band.  They have been around quite awhile and are constantly putting quality albums out.  Black metal has a very specific niche, so it's understandable why these guys get overlooked.

Exercises in Futility by Mgla
Another black metal band that pushes the limits.  All of the songs are movements of the overall theme and are filled with dark, engaging lyrics.  When I first listened to this album, I ended up having it on repeat for several loops.  The drum work is quite enjoyable.

Inescapable Damnation by Murashita
Time for some quality technical-melodic-thrash-death-metal.  Ok, so maybe we are just jamming genres of music together at this point, but the thrash elements show up more than to just make them a novelty (and oh yes, there is a wah solo).  And listen to the bass lines for some great technicality.  The riffs also throw some serious melody at your face.  Definitely pick this album up if you like thrash, melodic or technical death metal.

Road to Heaven by Dead Scream
Straight up melodic death metal anyone?  Yes please.  Sometimes you just need to throw on a quality album that moves at the speed of light.  When I listen to a good melodic death metal album, I like to feel the music move beneath me like a locomotive.  I haven't had this feeling in an album since Master of Puppets.  Highly recommended.

Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards by Gloryhammer
Is this serious?  You bet it is.  Sometimes you just need to put on album that doesn't take itself too seriously.  I've loved Gloryhammer since I heard Tales from the Kingdom of Fife, and while Space 1992 is not quite as remarkable, the charm is still there.  Along with the fun guitar work and symphonic feel, the album produces exactly what you expect a Gloryhammer album to deliver.  If you find it at a bargain, definitely pick up this "masterpiece."


So what did I miss?  Let me know of some of your favorite albums that just didn't get the recognition they deserved this year and put them in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite albums of 2015 is AngelMakers debut album, Dissentient. Godless, the opening track, hits hard and really sets the tone for the album. My personal favorite track from this album is definitely Shia LaBeouf. It does an excellent job of showcasing the dual vocals that this band offers. The official album stream can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JZ-i8WgGIM

    ReplyDelete