Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Obligatory Pumpkin Beer Discussion

Fall is upon us and with it comes an overabundance of pumpkin related products.  It's everywhere and there is no escaping pumpkin-geddon. So obviously the pumpkin infusing maniacs have starting throwing pumpkin flavors into beer.

I'm not a die-hard pumpkin beer drinking fiend, but I will say I do enjoy it during the fall.  However, how can you know which ones to drink?  With so many pumpkin beers, how can anyone decide?  That's what I'm here for.  So below I've grabbed a few solid pumpkin beers, poured a glass and aim to guide you in the right direction.

Southern Tier - Pumpking

This is my go to Pumpkin beer.  The best part is, this is an IPA with a pumpkin spice hint to it.  Not a Pumpkin flavored beer (slight difference).  There is a nice hoppy taste to it and the beautiful orange amber color (captured poorly in the image above) is very aesthetically pleasing.  The best part of Pumpking is the lack of sweetness, but rather a solid bitter.  The aroma is really nice and gives way to the taste that is almost more of a ginger snap cookie than pumpkin pie.  Highly recommended if you must try a Pumpkin beer, but want to retain your hipster beer drinking street cred.











Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale

This is your classic pumpkin ale.  Classic pumpkin ale sweetness and incredibly smooth.  There is very little bitterness to it which leads to a very refreshing pumpkin taste.  The taste is really only present in the middle, your first sip and your back end taste will leave you pretty empty.  You wouldn't even know this was a pumpkin beer from the aroma, which is kind of nice.  Pour it in a glass and no one would even know you're drinking a dreaded pumpkin beer.
















Shocktop Pumpkin Belgian Wheat

I've really only included this beer on here since this is the one pumpkin beer you will probably be able to find at almost any bar in the country.  This beer is also incredibly refreshing, since the base is a belgian wheat.  The color is a dead orange, so if you want people to know you're drinking a pumpkin ale, this is the one.  The aroma has a nice pumpkin scent, but the taste is rather bland.  It was more like I had a bite of a pumpkin pie while I was drinking a regular Shocktop.  I can't say I recommend this beer for its pumpkin taste, but if you like Shocktop then you'll like this.












So there you have it.  3 pretty decent Pumpkin beers to jump you into fall beer drinking.  There are many other pumpkin beers out there, and I'm sure there are others that taste way better.  Your favorite not on the above list?  You actually hate one that I liked?  Post your comments below on your favorite fall beers and make some recommendations for me to try out!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried it and I'm unsure if you can even find it on the east coast, but I know that Ballast Point offers a pumpkin beer called Pumpkin Down. Ballast Point is my favorite brewery and they have yet to disappoint me so I wouldn't be surprised if their pumpkin offering is an excellent beer. Here's some more info on it. http://www.ballastpoint.com/beer/pumpkin-down/

    ReplyDelete